Dear Miserable Adjunct:
(in sotto voice: this snowflake got my gender wrong...even though a picture of my masculine and oh so bald head is clearly visible in the LMS content):
"I was not aware that a textbook was needed for this course. I bought my textbooks for my other classes 2 weeks ago and when I searched for this class nothing even came up. I was just wondering if you could clarify if something changed or why there was no book listed before. Just a little confused."
In the nicest possible way possible, I re-capped the 4 ways this student might have become more "aware" that a textbook was needed:
(1) the email I sent a week ago that included the full info on the textbook, including both flavors of ISBN and some sites that might sell it at a less usurious price than our bookstore.
(2) The syllabus posted in our LMS.
(3) The utterly redundant "Course Materials" section of our LMS
(4) the email I sent less than 12 hours ago with a link to the student store's textbook purchase function.
(5) The "search and purchase" area of the school bookstore's website.
I added a screenshot from (5) to prove I wasn't making that part up in my response.
I wonder if students like this could in fact pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the bottom.
It's week 1. Can December get here soon enough ?
There...I feel better now.