A number of RYS readers approached Cal about keeping that page alive, but he did not want the name to continue. Fab Sun (aka Fabio Sunshine, I'm not shitting you) got the nod, and CollegeMisery.com started on June 24th, 2010.
What differs the most between the pages are that comments are turned on at CM, allowing us to flail madly, get off track, insult each other, and (more than occasionally) raise the roof on good ideas, and that CM "correspondents" can post directly to the page, bypassing the assured ruination by a moderator, who only judges, who only glares, who'd never let you have any fun! There are 100 correspondent spots available through the ridiculously stupid Blogger software. New community members can send a note to Leslie K., the current moderator - and ball busting bitch, according to some email - and if there is room, she'll dole out the special privilege.
A number of conceits exist with the community, some that come from RYS, and some that are all our own.
- The blog is run at a "compound" somewhere. In the RYS days, it was a desert location, filled with ravenous wolves, barbed wire, tar pits, and townie redheads. CM started in a shed on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, but it moved fairly recently to Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, where the large cache of compound guns causes less suspicion.
- There's always a hookah, but past RYS "personality" Compound Cash is likely to steal your weed.
- The page is dying. It's always dying. We're always teetering on extinction, and we like it.
- Everything on here is written by 4 people. We're lonely. We have cats instead of families. We hit refresh all day to inflate our page counts. We make millions on the ads.
- The graphics suck.
- The moderator always is fucking things up, changing fonts, blurring images, capriciously picking and choosing who gets to have a voice. Fab, the original CM moderator, got dissed for being a dick-swinger, and then other days, for being too much of a woman.
- There have been other moderators since Fab. Leslie K. (that's me, motherfuckas) took over for a bit, but got sick of the bullshit attacks of some trolls. Fab did it again. Terry P. took over as Gordon Presto, the baldest of all moderators. The moniker "RGM," or Real Goddamned Moderator got used for a bit to depersonalize the position, and to rob the power-mad moderator of "her" power. Leslie K. is the current moderator.
- Compound Cal continues to counsel the page. He's responsible for about 80% of the shitty graphics. He makes vidshizzles (videos) that he cobbles together from trolling YouTube for silly college student shenanigans.
- There was Yaro. Read this. Or this. Or this. Or this.
- There have been some trolls who like to fuck with us. One in particular wants us to shut down because of the damage we're doing to the academy. He's a dick. Multiple trolls tell us that we bar them because they're "telling the truth."
- The boys who have run the page have a big thing for Yvonne Strahovski. (Some of the girls, too.)
- Thirstys are questions. The Big Thirsty started on Thursdays, the big Thursday question. There are rules about Thirstys, and lots of wiseasses like to tweak the poor moderator by making up new ones, or posting a Big Thirsty on a day other than Thursday. That shit's not right. Cal takes those fuckers down when he sees them, and writes me long, torturous emails about it.
- Since moving to Utah we've really tried to get this alpaca business going, but Wicked Walter from Waxahachie keeps shooting them to make jerky, and the rest all run away.
- There is a duck. The duck was popularized in CM lore by Terry P. It's often evoked to change the topic, defuse a tense situation, or because it's such a good looking fucking duck.
- People write the moderator of the page to complain. All. The. Fucking. Time. When the moderator cannot take anymore, she puts up "Real Goddamned Mail," a favorite feature of the page. It's supposed to make the perpetrators feel bad, but it never seems to!
- Everyone drinks.
For the shit I've missed, check the comments, because I'm sure folks will fill in the gaps, or make up some shit just to piss Cal off!