- What is your role in higher ed? Professor, part-timer, student, just an interested observer?
I'm a tenured prof of music in the southeast.
- Why do you read CM? Is it useful? Are you learning anything? Are you just eager to hear about the demise of the planet through the activities of horribly prepared freshmen?
Oh, I read it for the yuks, and also for the occasionally brilliant news story I might have missed otherwise. I complete eschew the Crampicle and its type! I may not learn much here, but I get a real kick out of the interplay.
- Why don't you participate through posting or commenting?
Partially because I'm a little private anyway, and even though with pseudonyms I feel I would give away too much of my real life, my real colleagues, etc. That's a headache I wouldn't want. Also, it feels to me like there's a set "lineup" of regulars who do battle, and I don't see how one would ever get in that particular club. But I don't regret that. It's an entertaining world to visit.
- Is there anything about CM that you don't like? Or several things?
I wish there were more people! I know that I've just sort of contradicted the previous answer, but if I see a person's name on a comment or post, I can pretty much guess what they're going to say. Strelnikov is going to suggest killing a dean or freshman with an arcane Russian rifle that I'll have to Google.
- What do you think CM could do a better job of?
Nothing! I wouldn't even presume. It's a perfect little way-station in my academic world and I'm grateful it exists!