Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Stream From Katherine.

In the grand tradition of Myra and Yaro, a stream:

  • I have a student who wants to bump fists with me (pound me) after every class.
  • I have never parked in a faculty parking lot.
  • My textbooks have not arrived yet. It is week 4.
  • A student wants to take next week off because her sister is getting married. I told her she could. "Really," she said. "You can do whatever you want," I said. "Is it okay if we carry on without you?"
  • I have $75 credit on Zappos, and I'm just waiting for a nice, slow afternoon to spend it.
  • There is something caught between my two front teeth. It's a rice grain, I think. Soft rice. Now it's hard. That's weird, isn't it?
  • My colleagues have a softball team. They never ask me to play. I played fast pitch in the Midwest in high school. I'm the shit.
  • The president of our college publishes his travel schedule. He's hardly ever here. I think I'm the only one who reads it and wonders: "What is he going to Muncie for?"
  • When I grow up I want to be like my dad, happy.
  • I schedule office hours around my schedule, not those of the students.
  • I think Words With Friends is stupid only because I discovered my brother cheats when he plays me.
  • I love Ricola throat lozenges and gobble them even though my throat is fine.
  • My students are dumber this year than last, and the year before. I could plot it on a graph if I could figure out how to use Microsoft Draw.
  • My colleague across the hallway calls me Kathy. I don't like it.
  • I am teaching because I fell in love with a teacher.
  • I married someone practical.
  • I make $46,500.
  • I know I could run this department better than the chair. I don't believe I'll ever find out. I'm okay with that.


  1. Why is he going to Muncie?

    Yo, I'll just leave this here.

  2. "I married someone practical."

    Mom used to tell me it's just as easy to fall in love with a rich girl as with a poor one. She should talk; she married the guy who taught in the local one-room schoolhouse.

    I didn't marry a rich girl, but I did marry a frugal one. Does that count?

  3. My student's don't get dumber they get lazier. I directly correlate my behavior with being less helpful.

  4. To quote Yaro, I married the wheel to my barrow.

    My own anemic stream:
    I would give quite a bit to spend time with Yaro.
    I would love to buy a drink for so many posters / commenters here.
    2 of my least pleasant ever students (who graduated a number of years ago) turned up today, asking me sign a card for the third member of their unpleasant triumvirate, who will apparently marry soon. Hiram-like, I am baffled.
    Philip Larkin.
    Cafepress should sell h_p tinfoil hats.
    Bubba’s quote at the end of AWC’s final post was just absolutely perfect.

  5. A little thrill went through me when I say "Katherine." I said "Katie" in my head and I giggled for a minute.

    So, it's not her, but it's great. I miss the "streams." Where are Myra's? I did a pretty good search and can't find them. Didn't she and Yaro flirt shamelessly?

  6. I so badly want to write a stream!!