I may be caught up in the glamour of it all, but I've loved this page for so long, and I feel fortunate to be a part of it. I'm yet another English proffie, someone who reads and writes (and GRADES reading and writing) for a living. I still love it, but have all the same complaints as many who have strutted their way across the RYS/CM stage over the years.
- One of my degrees comes from the university with the best football team in the country.
- My first book came out two years ago. It sold almost zero copies but got me a promotion. Nobody except my colleagues ask about when my next one is coming out. Truthfully, I teach too many freshmen to be able to have time to write another.
- I am married to a great guy who is also a college administrator - sorry - and I give him shit in person at least once a week about something I think THEY are not doing. We kiss and make up and we've been together 15 years.
- I have spectacular kids, spectacular to me, I know they're just average middle schoolers...I'm not crazy. One wants desperately to be a college professor (my sainted daughter), and one wants to drive motorcycles for a living (my exasperating son).
- NO CATS. I'M NOT AN ACADEMIC WITH A CAT.
- I teach at a place where my department is hostile but the division is friendly. I hang downstairs with some great people in Philosophy, History, and Foreign Languages. I know this is cliche, but I have actual colleagues who are vindictive and nasty, and I assume plotting against me.
- I do not have tenure, but if all goes well...
- I live in the way, way west.
- I'm 40 something. 40 something is the new never-get-to-retire-something.
- I love love love this community.
- I have been on RYS and CM over the years, more often under a few different names in the wild and wooly RYS days, and I've chosen not to reveal my CM name since I didn't want any overlap in my online existence.
- I chose my name after reviewing past moderator handles; I always liked the old ones, Compound Cal, of course, Cash, Chronos, Cricket, etc.
- I'm moving the site's real world location. Oilmont MT has been a bust. It's stinky and cold and if I have to run a blog and can set it down anywhere, well, it's going to be some place warm. I'll reveal it by year end. (You can all ship your shit there in time for Spring.)
Thanks to all for the nice notes of welcome. Let me welcome you, too, to the new world, the new misery. I hope that we can keep it going. I am NOT going to be active on the page - all evidence to the contrary. I just want to make sure the place works and that people who want to have a voice get one.