Wednesday, September 26, 2012

An Apology from EMH.

Yesterday EMH posted a photo that many readers deemed inappropriate at best and highly objectionable at worst. Once we saw the post we took it down, but not before about 15 comments and about 20 emails had come in asking for its removal.

EMH has sent this note to us and since many folks have asked about the incident, we're going to share it with everyone.

Fab

[+]

Please allow me to apologize for what was an apparant lack of judgement/sensitivity on my part. My choice of the image was not to offend anyone, but to provide an image of my perception of classroom management, based on my own personal past experiences.

The horse was meant to symbolize multiple things:

1) An apparant dead system which worships classroom management but has no clue what it is.

2) What happens to an instructor who doesn't "manage" their classroom.

3) What happens to an instructor who does "manage" their classroom. (ie. Dean involvement which often results in the instructor not being offered classes as a result of involving the Dean. You know, being crapped on for doing your job, yet also being crapped on for not doing your job.)

4) What happens to an instructor's career as a result of being burnt out on managing their classrooms.

(Personally, I feel that, in college, if a student needs to be "managed" then it's time for them to leave. I'm not a babysitter. I'm there to provide an education and if they don't want one then they don't have to be there...)

I did not intend to offend anyone. I was just expressing my misery. However, I can understand that the image could have been taken the wrong way.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.

EMH