But guess what? My main goal in life is not to make your life miserable. My main goal is to keep this tanker from crashing anywhere. And there are lots of rocks out there.
My budget, for example, is finite. I'd love to give you all raises and new offices and buy you lots of toys. But what do I do when the money runs out?
I know that you bitch about "the administration" and see me as part of that. Sure, we holler at you if you don't get your grades in on time. The students and the registrar are breathing down our necks! And they need their grades soon.
I understand that the erasers are missing and we ran out of blue whiteboard pens. We can't just waltz into Target and get stuff. We have to go through the purchasing channels. We're a public institution, and that's taxpayer money (along with the tuition) we're spending.
May I share my day with you?
- Before I got my laptop hooked up, Prof. A stormed in, insisting that I get curtains for his office.
- Prof. B saw me come round the corner and insisted I come listen to the dreadful noise. Yes, it's loudest in the toilets. That keeps the duration of the sessions to a minimum, I suppose.
- Student A's mother called with a long drawn-out request on account of her flake being out of the country.
- Student B dropped by to brightly tell me that he's requested that Prof. C, a guy who really irritates me, be on his committee with me.
- Student C wanted to drop her application off and have me mail it to Admissions for her.
- The secretary went home because she's not feeling well. But since she showed up it doesn't count as a sick day.
- Student D needed a room to work in, but we have none free.
- Prof. D had this great idea for doing interviews for admissions. All I have to do is do it for him.
- Prof. F was mad that we docked his pay for being seriously late with grades. New rules, dude.
- Prof. G wants money to start a new scholarly journal. I suggested he call it the Journal of Part-Time Research.
- The Prez is pissed because we don't like the dysfunctional web site his web site editor has designed.
- The Veep is angry because I dissed one of his pet projects publicly so he is taking random potshots back.
- I requested statistics from the administration for the umpteenth time, after finally getting the numbers I requested in February.
- The computer center refuses to set up a system that would make my life easier because they would have to install it and back it up.
- My administrative assistant edited a policy document thoroughly, using an old version of the document and sent it out without showing it to me first.
- The alumni lady wants me to come to some beach party and chat with alumni I don't know.
- I tried to understand the budget for 2011. I gave up and went home.