|Single- and double-breasted suit comparison (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
- What do you mean, you haven't got the programs printed yet? I spent $250 for conference registration, I expect to at least get a fracking program. And not even a drink ticket or a cheap plastic pen?
- Why is everyone wearing a suit jacket? The cool older alpha males wear jeans with their jackets, but are self-conscious about it. The hopeful new interviewees wear painfully fresh jackets. The older jackets with dress pants are on the interviewees who have been here a time or two, poor bastards. The market isn't getting any better.
- Everyone down at the bar is having a very good time. I saw a cool alpha male talking to two enthralled young women half his age, and they are all clearly having a very good time. I don't mean this unkindly: it is rather sweet really. He is obviously thinking "wow, this never happened to me in high school. Never. Not even once. NOBODY cared about hamster fur weaving in high school." And they are thinking "wow, this cool alpha guy who knows EVERYTHING about hamster fur weaving wants to talk to US!" And nobody is admitting even to themselves that power, and perky-breastedness, is in any way underlying this interaction; which is what makes it sweet.
- In-room potato chips are $4?!!
- What point is there in 10 minute papers? Ten minutes? That's straight from intro to conclusion, never mind how I got there. And 2 minutes per paper for questions and discussion? About enough time for one alpha to clear his throat. Seriously?
- Fuck, if this is as fast as the free-to-conference-goers wifi is going to get, I'm glad I'm not paying $15/day for it.
- Huh, this hotel is RIGHT NEXT to a major shopping district. I don't think anyone's going to miss my keen (2-minute) insights from a panel or three…
- What do you mean, the programs STILL aren't printed? It's not like you didn't know SIX MONTHS AGO who was on it.
- (much later) … the gay-straight alliance always throws the best
parities- parties ... bed now …