1. I will not cave. No, you may not submit this paper late. No, you will not text in class. No, you will not steal my time from students who need it (or my increasingly arcane research, which I need). Cry, beg, rage -- I will let it wash over me like a zephyr.
2. I will not grow more jaded. I chose this career because it mattered to me once. I won't let students corrupt what I still find of value in the university: the sharing of ideas, the exploring of complex topics, and the questioning of our preconceived notions. I don't care that they just want a degree or a job. Those are stupid, unworthy goals, and I will not bow to them from any pressure they can wield. I have tenure, damn it.
3. I will stay out of administration as much as possible. I will stay out of their building. I will not volunteer for any committees other than the ones I'm already on. I will not run for faculty senate. If asked to serve as chair, I will refuse.
4. I will protect time for myself other than in the shower. I will not check my email as soon as I get up, nor will I check it after 5:00pm on a weekday. I will not spend more than 20 minutes per paper (well, maybe thirty).
5. I will read for fun. Yes, I am behind in my field. I have been for the last ten years, and yet, the world does not seem to end. It won't end if I pick up a Stephen King novel now and then, rather than the International Journal of Hamsterology.
6. I will learn everyone's name. Ha!
Q: Those are my resolutions. What are yours?