- Jambox speakers ($200) With one of these speakers, which looks like a colorful block of cheese, you can have an instant dance party with music on your iPhone. And disappoint your parents.
- Roku ($49) College students love watching South Park, Scrubs and their other favorite TV shows via Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, but it can be a pain to watch shows and movies on a small laptop screen. Plug the device into your television and watch your streaming video on a larger TV screen. It's that simple. To disappoint your parents and ignore the essays that are due and your bio lab.
- Livescribe smart pen ($99) The Livescribe smartpen will make sitting through lectures much easier. With the pen, a student can record lectures while taking notes on special paper. Tap on the notes later and the pen will play back the appropriate audio. Or you can just record your roommate farting. And disappoint your parents.
- Terrarium (Nearly free) Terrariums are hot. You can buy them online, but it can be more fun to put one together and it will cost you next to nothing. Find a jar with a lid -- a quart size is great - and put pebbles on the bottom. Take a walk in a forest and find some small fern or other tiny plants, along with some hunks of moss and place them in the terrarium. It's the best place ever to keep your weed. And disappoint your parents.
- DVDs of favorite TV shows ($20 - $30) Give your college student DVD's of Dexter, True Blood, Entourage or whatever their favorite cable shows happen to be. In case your Roku breaks and, like, the library's closed, and because it's too late to start that paper anyway.
- Electric tea kettle ($14 and up) An electric tea kettle is perfect to fix a cup of tea on cold winter days or to heat water for ramen or a cup of soup. If you want to splurge, buy some Tevana tea to go along with it. My son loves Teavana's Jasmine pearls. Her son is using the tea kettle to store his weed in.
- Fitbit Ultra ($99) Perfect gift for any college students battling the freshmen 15. The gadget, which clips onto your waistband, records your steps, flghts of stairs, calories burned and more data, which is automatically synced to your computer when the device is nearby. It also tracks how well you are sleeping. One word about the freshmen 15: munchies.
Friday, December 23, 2011
Gifts for College Students (with Commentary)
Having a hard time coming up with Christmas presents for college students? No worries, here are some great Christmas gifts that your favorite college student would be thrilled to get.